Saturday, August 11, 2007

spinning around

Gandhi used a spinning wheel, did anyone else know this?

First off, new exchange student from Germany. Second off, new yarn from Germany. It's 12 balls of dark pinkish/Red Violet, defiantly a kool-aid dye. I'm mostly sure that it's 100% wool but the label says "Ren ny uld" so that could mean kangaroo for all that I know. It is also very likely to be handspun, but I can't say for certain, but the single ply and the chunky/semi-bulky twist look a lot like what I got the first few times I tried to spin. There is enough for a top-down sweater which is awesome because I wanted to start one before Katrin leaves the country because when I need help, she's already got tons of experience.

I've begun seriously looking at spinning wheels, because I finally looked at the amount that I have in savings, and realized that I've got enough to get a fairly decent wheel. I'm going to take my sweet ass time looking at them, I don't intend to commit to anything until late September or October. This will be a very important decision, because I don't want to feel like I've made an impulse buy on something beautiful but impractical, nor do I want to end up with a serviceable yet fugly duckling. An hour ago, I wanted an Ashford castle wheel, because they are the ones that I see the most at shows, but now after browsing a bit, I'm not so sure.

There are two kinds of spinning wheels, castles, which are more common among modern spinners, and saxony, which is the more traditional spinning wheel that you see in old European paintings. The Castles are smaller, and easier to transport, but they aren't elegant like the saxonies.

I'm also unsure about brand. My first drop spindle was an Ashford, but to me they always appear to go for the ultimate utilitarian style. Normally, I'm all over that kind of simplicity, but I took a look at the Kromski's and they are much more detailed(also, they're from Poland).

Even more confusing is figuring out whether I want a single or double treadle; And if I want a single or double drive. And if I want a big or small wheel.

So far my favorites are:

Kromski Polonaise so, so pretty

Kromski Minstrel
pretty, and practical

Ashford Traveler
Simple and efficient.

Majacraft Professional
an interesting and simple shape to this one

Jensen Debbie Gossip Wheel
This one is particularly interesting because two people can use it at once

1 comment:

  1. have you thought about taking a class? that way you can try out different wheels.
    http://www.shuttlesspindlesandskeins.com/class_spinning.htm
    http://recycledlamb.com/_wsn/page7.html

    ReplyDelete